Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Senior Project


This is a little bit about what my project is going to consist of:
What can suddenly make someone feel ashamed or shy away from something they cherish so much? Do the experiences they go through affect them or does puberty have to do anything with it? I loved to sing when I was younger and privately I still do. When I was younger I couldn’t wait to get in front of the church but I can no longer allow myself to do it. For my senior project I will research about the psychological aspect of puberty among elementary and middle school boys and girls and how that transition period affects the development. There is a clear transition that I want to address. At the same time I will challenge myself to master my shyness through practice (actually going to the master singers) and dedication.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Tamar, I think you picked a really good topic to work on and I'm really interested on what the end result is going to be. To be honest I really want to learn about it because I consider myself a shy person too, even though, I'm not nearly as shy as I used to be in middle school. I think this is an important topic to research on because I know it can really affect girls. Now that I reflect on it, I realize that my shyness closed so many doors and opportunities for me. If you could really find the answer I think you could help a lot of girls.

    I do have a suggestion, though. To find the answer, I think that you should not only seek help from professionals but maybe you could also ask some teenage girls what they think is the cause of their shyness. That way you could know information from both sides. It's ust a suggestion. Hope your project works out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think it would be a good idea to get both sides of the spectrum because in reality what I'm thinking is how can adolescent/pre-teenage girls really know that this is a phenomenon that affects them? I don't really know thought how I could approach helping them since I don't know myself how to become less shy if this project is already making me uneasy. At times I feel like just coming up with another idea and just forgetting about this project. I can't bring myself to do many of the things that are going to conflict with shyness I have. Thank you for idea Brenda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can tell this is going to be interesting by what you wrote about your project. I also think it would be good to get both sides of the story as Brenda mentioned. My question is how are you going to find a group of teenagers that will give you a variety of data. I mean if you want to find out something in general about teenagers, it's going to be hard to find a group of kids that represent the whole teenage community, something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great start -- especially in the conversation here. Tamar, don't you have access to young girls in a church group? Can you ask them some simple questions like... Were you shy in 4th grade, 6th grade, 8th grade, etc? Perhaps they can rate their shyness and reflect on why it changed? You could also do this with Chinquapin students in 6th, 8th, 10th? I'll bet I can find access to some more students for you...

    Take some time to explain the three strands of your work for us?

    ReplyDelete