Wednesday, April 27, 2011

To Answer Chassidy's Question

I know you had a little singing session with one of the new fellows when she came to visit, I would love to know how that went. Would you post a blog about that? I think that will be interesting for everyone. Did it help you understand anythings clearer? Was it hard for you to sing for her? Do you think singing on the camera has helped you overcome your shyness? How is your study of girls going? 
Chassidy Smith

Two weeks ago,  a prospective fellow came to apply here to Chinquapin and she gave me a lesson for about 15 minutes. I would say that it was a great experience because I felt  that she understood what I meant when I said "I need someone to give me constructive criticism". At first, I have to say that I was really intimidated. This prospective fellow was basically a professional. I believe she participated in musical theater at college, and right when she met me it seemed as if she was extremely excited to get to work on my skills and see what it was that I needed. I was afraid not to sing well because of my lack of practice. At first, it was really hard to sing in front of her but I quickly felt at ease with the constructive criticism she gave me. Thoughts ran through my mind: What if I can't do it? 


I admired her passion for singing and ease with which she helped me. At first, we started doing vocal exercises which warmed up my vocal cords. As I have mentioned before, singing from my diaphragm is a hard thing for me. We worked on breathing properly for an extended period of time and I realized that all I need is to do was concentrate on using air properly and scarcely to hit the notes.  I was glad that she noticed problems with the way I sing and gave me suggestions to improve my voice. Overall, those fifteen minutes were very productive and helpful. I was also happy to hear complement my voice. 


I think that singing in front of a camera has me a little more at ease with myself but it has not been enough to overcome my shyness. I actually think it has hindered my progress in a small way. To be truthful I do not want to sing in order to culminate my project. Even though my presentation is three weeks from now, I don't know whether I will sing or not. I do know that from my visit to Mt. Holyoke College (to which I will be attending this fall) that I will join an a capella group. I love singing so much that I will keep on trying till I succeed even though I did not achieve mastery in the signing part this year. 


My study of girls is going really well. I am actually going to the private middle school in Houston May 5th and distributing my survey to about 80 girls. That is super exciting! 













1 comment:

  1. I admire you Tamar. I just really want you to know that. You have the courage to even try to conquer a fear or intimidation. I have yet to even talk about mine. You are a very strong woman and I know you'll do great in whatever you do. Keep going for it, as you said. I will hold you to that.

    ReplyDelete